Like dark knees and elbows, dark knuckles and toes are another common issue that most people face. These are the areas that get less attention in daily skin care routine and hence they start losing their original color and tend to be darker. For women, they lack the confidence in wearing fashion accessories in their hand due to dark knuckles and many bleach their skin on timely basis when they need to attend certain function. Though bleaching gives temporary solution to this issue, it is not recommended for long run as it consist of various chemicals which can later damage your skin.
What cause dark knuckles on hand and toes?
One of the major reasons for dark knuckles is dryness. Dryness is caused due to overwash of your hand and feet along with overuse of chemicals. Also, accumulation of dead skin cells due to improper attention and care towards hands and feet lead to dark knuckles. Skin diseases like eczema and psoriasis also tend to darken your knuckles.
How to treat dark knuckles?
The easiest way to lighten the dark color of your knuckles is to follow the below listed simple home remedies. Try them today to flaunt your hand and toes in public.
1. Lemon & Sugar Scrub to lighten dark knuckles
Lemon is rich in nutrients, vitamin C and antioxidant that plays vital role in rejuvenating the skin. Accumulation of dead skin cells being one of the reasons for darker knuckles, scrubbing is one great way to remove it.
- Mix a tablespoon of lemon juice with sugar in a small bowl
- Apply the mixture over the affected areas
- Massage for about 5-10 minutes
- Wash off with lukewarm water, pat dry and moisturize.
The bleaching properties of lemon and exfoliating properties of sugar will leave you with smooth, clear and even tone skin.
2. Lemon and Honey bleach for dark knuckle treatment
The skin nourishing agent and a natural bleaching agent – Honey and lemon respectively, works as wonder to lighten dark knuckles naturally.
- Mix a tablespoon of honey and lemon juice in a small bowl
- Apply it to your dark knuckles and toes
- Let it remain for 30 minutes
- Wash off with lukewarm water, pat dry and moisturize.
Apply it daily for a month to get a visible result.
3. Almond oil & yogurt treatment for dark knuckle and toes
Almond oil has the cleansing and nourishing properties that makes skin supple and soft. Yogurt on the other hand act as natural bleaching agent that helps to lighten dark skin.
- Take a tablespoon of yogurt and apply few drops of almond oil in it
- Mix it thoroughly and apply it on the affected areas
- Leave it for 30 minutes, rinse off with warm water and moisturize.
4. Oatmeal for knuckle whitening
Oatmeal consist of saponin that helps to remove the harmful toxins causing the discoloration of your skin. It also contains amino acid that helps to lighten dark spots and discoloration. Use this oatmeal remedy to even out skin tone whether it be on your knuckles or any other body part.
- Cook oatmeal in water and let it cool to room temperature.
- Apply the cooked oats onto your dark knuckles and leave it till dry.
- Rinse off with warm water, pat dry and moisturize.
- Repeat daily for best result.
5. Coffee – a natural remedy for dark knuckles & toes
Coffee, being the favorite drink for numerous people, is also rich in antioxidants that helps to brighten the skin tone. Treat your dark knuckles and toes with coffee grounds for even tone skin color.
- Take a tablespoon of coffee grounds and grind it.
- Add a little rosewater to make it a paste.
- Apply the paste in the affected areas and wait till it’s dry.
- Then rinse off with lukewarm water, pat dry and moisturize.
- Repeat this home remedy once a week for better result.
6. Rub potato for even tone knuckles
Raw potato is packed with bleaching properties and vitamin C which helps to naturally lighten the dark skin. Using raw potato has been potent home remedy to cure dark knuckles instantly.
- Take a raw potato and cut it into slices.
- Rub the potato slice into the dark knuckles and toes.
- Leave it for about 25 minutes.
- Then rinse off with warm water, pat dry and moisturize.
- Repeat it twice a week for better result.
7. Baking soda and rose water treatment to brighten knuckles
The composition of sodium and pH neutralizer in baking soda acts as an excellent exfoliant that removes harmful toxins and dead skin cells darkening the skin. Rose water on the other hand, even tones the skin and tighten the pores. Thus, combination of these two will lighten dark knuckles with healthy and clear skin.
- Mix a tablespoon of baking soda with a tablespoon of rose water to make a paste
- Apply the paste in the affected areas and leave till dry.
- Then, wash off with cool water, pat dry and moisturizer with lotion.
- Repeat twice a week for better result.
8. Milk cream & turmeric for dark knuckles
Raw milk consist of lactic acid which acts as skin lightening agent and also helps to get rid of dead skin cells. Turmeric also has skin lightening properties along with antiseptic properties. Together, they work best to lighten dark knuckles and toes quickly.
- Take some milk cream and add a pinch of turmeric to it.
- Apply the mixture to the affected areas and rub it for about five minutes.
- Then rinse off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
This remedy also helps to soften your dry skin. You can also add vitamin E capsule in the mixture for better result.
9. Lightening dark knuckles with Flaxseeds
Flaxseeds are rich in various nutrients such as magnesium, vitamin B complex, omega 3 essential acids, fibre, protein which is perfect for remarkable skin. It leaves your skin hydrated, supple and healthy.
- Soak two tablespoon of flaxseeds in a bowl and leave it overnight
- In the morning, mash the seeds to make a paste and apply in affected areas
- Leave it for 15 minutes then wash off with cool water and pat dry.
- Repeat daily for better result.
10. Use pumice stone to remove dead skin cells & whiten knuckle
Dead skin cells also leads to darken skin. Hence it is essential that you exfoliate the dead skin cells and for that pumice stone simply acts like a magic. You can easily use one to scrub your knuckles and feet every time during your bath. You’ll see visible difference within few times of use.
Try these easy home remedies to treat your dark knuckles and toes and let us know how it worked for you in the comment section below!
Also, have a look at 10 effective home remedies to get rid of dark spots on face naturally.