Summer is almost here and sweat and summer are two words that goes parallel. The scorching heat and soaring temperatures in the summer makes you sweat almost everywhere, including your feet. Sweating itself isn’t the problem but the odor that comes along can get up in everyone’s nose. And believe me, nobody wants to smell bad.
Why do my feet smell bad?
The bacteria that build up on your foot skin and in your shoes eats the sweat that you secrete. These bacterias then produce an acid byproduct that is stinky. It’s a natural process. However, you can reduce the number of bacteria by keeping your feet dry.
How to get rid of smelly feet?
To spare yourself from the possible embarrassment, follow these top-notch home remedy and set your feet odor-free.
1. Salt-water home remedy for smelly feet
Salt extracts the moisture out of your skin, reducing the amount of bacteria that survives on the sweat that you secrete.
- Put 1-2 spoon of kosher salt in a tub of water (you can use epsom salt as well) .
- Soak your feet for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy every day for two weeks so get effective results.
This method is also helpful in exfoliating the dead-skin cells in your feet and make it soft and smooth.
2. Smelly feet treatment with Tea
The acid in the tea closes your foot-skin pores, reducing the amount of sweat. Tea also acts as a natural antibiotic agent that kills the bacteria on your feet and also preventing their re-growth.
- Add two bags of black tea to half a liter of water and boil it for 15 minutes.
- Add some cool water to it and then pour the whole solution into a wash tub.
- Soak your feet in this solution for 30 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy everyday for a week.
3. Cure smelly feet with Baking Soda
Baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, helps to balance the pH balance of the feet. This will ultimately help in reducing the odor forming from bacteria.
- Dissolve a tablespoon of baking soda to some warm water.
- Soak your feet for approximately 15 minutes in this water.
- Wipe off with clean cloth and pat dry.
- Repeat this method twice a week for better results.
Alternatively, you may simply sprinkle a little baking soda directly into your shoe and socks, allowing it to soak up any bacteria-causing moisture.
4. Lavender Oil foot odor remedy
Lavender Oil not only provides relaxation and improves stress relief, it also aids different type of skin conditions including foot odor. It kills the bacteria that results the odor.
- Clean your feet.
- Rub few drops of lavender oil onto your feet and massage it well. You may want to apply it at night, before bed.
- Cover your feet with thin socks to lock the lavender essence.
Note: Check for any kind of skin irritation by putting a drop of this oil on a small area before the actual application.
5. Stinky feet remedy with Cornstarch
Cornstarch are great natural absorbent and works very well to ingest the moisture and sweat on your feet. This will, in turn, reduce the bacteria that lives on the sweat and ultimately the odor.
- Wash and clean your feet
- Apply cornstarch powder to dust them evenly
- Apply this remedy everyday for few weeks unless you see some commendable results.
6. Eliminate foot odor using Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar works as an amazing antibacterial solution that wipes out the foot bacteria. It also makes a great natural deodorizer that soaks the odor released by them. The acids in the apple cider vinegar is the hero that alters the pH level of your skin, preventing it from excessive sweat, odor and the bacteria.
- Pour few ml of apple cider vinegar over the baby wipes. (Thick paper towels will also do.)
- Soak the wipes overnight in the fridge (then store in a zip-lock bag ).
- Use a wipe at a time to cleanse your foot area, everyday before bed.
- Repeat this remedy for few weeks to see the difference.
The smell of the vinegar can be off but it will dissipate once dried.
7. Alum Powder – best foot odor eliminator
Potassium aluminum sulfate also known as alum powder is a salt derivative of naturally occurring aluminum ore. Alum powder is rich in astringent and antiseptic essentials. The ability to absorb moisture makes it a powerful and easy remedy for smelly feet.
- Wash your feet with warm water. Clean and pat dry.
- Sprinkle some alum powder into a wash basin filled with warm water .
- Soak your feet in this water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Dry them thoroughly.
8. Get rid of foot odor naturally with Sugar Scrub
Sugar scrub are amazing for skin exfoliation. There are many DIY recipes for sugar scrubs that works brilliantly for your skin conditions, including foot odor. This sugar scrub method will help get rid of both the foot odor and dead skin cells from your feet.
- Mix together sugar, water, and isopropyl alcohol in a wash basin.
- To every five part of water use one part alcohol.
- Add sugar to make a thick consistent paste.
- Scrub your feet with this paste using a gentle brush or cloth.
- Rinse and pat dry.
- Repeat this process two or three times a week for best results.
9. Use Tree Tea Oil to eliminate foot odor at home
Tea tree oil contains good proportion of restorative properties. It is a natural antifungal, antibacterial, and antiseptic agent. Everything you would want to get rid of odor on the feet is present in this essential oil.
- Wash and clean your feet.
- Apply tea tree oil and massage thoroughly.
- Focus around the areas where dampness can hide, like around the toes.
- Apply this remedy at night before bed and rinse off with warm water the next morning.
- Alternatively, you can soak your feet in a tea tree oil bath.
When applied correctly, this method can stop the fungal growth and also get rid of bad smells.
10. Ginger Root – a natural remedy for foot odor
Ginger has multiple health benefits from removing toxins to odorous feet and inhibiting the growth of bacteria. It is one of nature’s best antibacterial ingredients.
- Blend some few inches of ginger root in a grinder.
- Add to a cup of hot water to this puree.
- Let the mixture steep for about 15 minutes
- Strain it and use the leftover liquid to massage your feet.
- Repeat this remedy everyday for few weeks.
These remedies are safe, effective and easy to use at home.
Despite these home-based solutions, there are some healthy living practices like changing socks regularly, washing your feet everyday and letting your shoes dry in sunlight which can also work effectively to reduce the smell causing bacteria. Also, increase your intake of pineapples as it helps improve the overall body odor.
Smelly feet are not a medical issue, however they can affect a person’s personality, self-confidence and relationships with others.