Earwax is a outcome of our body’s natural ear cleansing process. Earwax is not a dirt itself but a protective layer of ear to shield it from dirt and infections. It also lubricates the ear canals. Meanwhile, it is important to understand that excess of earwax can result ear blockage and therefore it needs to be removed.
Using cotton swabs to remove the earwax may flip the game by pushing the earwax further deep inside the ear canal. However, there are several natural home remedies that can be used to safely remove the earwax at home.
1. Use Baking Soda to safely remove earwax at home
Baking soda is a naturally produced chemical that does wonders when it comes to earwax removal. A water solution containing 10 percent baking soda will make an effective solution for softening the compact earwax, making it easy to remove. This kitchen staple is an inexpensive and easy remedy for the given problem.
- Dissolve ½ tsp. of baking soda in 2 oz. of warm water
- Put this liquid mixture in a dropper bottle for easy of use.
- Drip several drops of this solution in the affected ear at least once daily for 2 weeks.
This will soften the wax and make it easy to remove from the ear.
2. Salt Water remedy for earwax removal at home
Salt water is one of the effective earwax removal remedy. It is also known as saline solution. This combination of salt and water works well to soften the earwax and safely remove it from the ear canal.
- Add a teaspoon of salt to half a cup of warm water and stir to dissolve the salt completely.
- Put a few drops of this salt water in your ear using an eyedropper.
- Keep it up for about five minutes, then turn your head to drain your ear and clean it thoroughly.
3. Best way to clean ear with Coconut Oil
Virgin coconut oil is an effective and natural ingredient that allows the wax to move out on its own. The presence of medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil makes this process safe and natural. It also kills a wide range of harmful microorganisms that may buildup of earwax.
- Lie down on your side or back.
- Using an eyedropper apply several drops of warm virgin coconut oil into your ear canal.
- Move your jaw around to push the virgin coconut oil down the canal.
Using coconut oil will detach the compact ear wax, causing it to exit naturally.
4. Safe earwax removal using Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar(ACV) contains is rich in antibacterial properties and therefore prevents any infection that may cause your ears, and it also helps to drain out any mucous, if present. ACV when combined with alcohol can help break up the wax wall.
- Mix together two tbsp of both rubbing alcohol and apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
- Fill a medicine/ ear dropper with this solution.
- Lie down, keeping the affected ear upwards, and pour it to your ear canal.
- Place a cotton ball to allow the mixture to sit in the ears for a few minutes.
- Then, remove the cotton balls and allow the fluid to drain out.
- Clean your ears with a towel or washcloth.
- Repeat whenever needed be.
5. Ear wax removal at home with Garlic Oil
Garlic oil can be an effective therapy if the blockage by earwax is accompanied by a lot of pain. The natural antibiotic, Allicin, in garlic fights off any inner or middle ear infections and also helps fight the associated pain.
- In a small pan, add some oil and a few crushed garlic cloves.
- Heat the oil till the cloves turns black. Then turn the heat off and allow it to cool.
- When the oil drops to room temperature, remove the cloves and pour this oil in your ears using an eardropper.
- Use a little oil to gently rub around the ear that is paining.
- Wait for some time. Then, tilt your head in the opposite direction and drain out the oil.
The oil will work on the wax, and the garlic will prevent any possible infection.
6. Applying glycerin – best way to clean ear wax
Glycerin is a humectant – it attracts moisture to your skin. Glycerin works as an amazing and effective ear wax softener because of its lubricating and moisturizing properties. It is also considered safe ear wax removal technique at home. Although it need not be diluted before use, it is recommended to dilute it with a little water. Mixing water will make it a little thinner, making it easy to go deep into the ear canal and soften the wax there.
- Add a teaspoon of water to some glycerin.
- Fill a dropper with this solution.
- Tilt your head, and pour several drops of it to your affected ear. Stay in this position for about 5 minutes or use of cotton ball to close the opening at this ear.
- Now, incline your head in the opposite direction allowing the solution to drain out.
- Use a clean towel to pat your ears dry.
7. Natural ear wax removal with Alcohol Solution
A mixture of vinegar and rubbing alcohol makes a great combo to help dissolve the earwax. Alcohol aids as a drying agent and easily evaporates when the temperatures are low, whereas the astringent properties in vinegar fights the possible microbial infection.
- Mix together equal parts of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol.
- Using a dropper, draw few drops of this solution and pour it to the affected ear facing upward.
- Leave it to sit for five minutes, then let it drain.
- Use a clean cloth to gently wipe any remaining wax.
8. Olive Oil treatment for ear wax removal
Olive oil is used in various health conditions because of its phenomenal healing properties. It is also very helpful in softening the stiffed wax in your ears. As it is greasy, it acts a lubricant to easily remove the wax. Some studies have also shown that extra virgin olive oil has strong antibacterial properties.
- Warm up some olive oil in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Let it cool down and pour it to the affected ear using a dropper.
- Repeat everyday for few days so that the hardened wax gets ultimately dislodged.
9. Hydrogen Peroxide – best way to remove ear wax
You can easily get a bottle hydrogen peroxide from the drug store. It is considered as an effective home remedy for earwax. Hydrogen peroxide is a weak acid that can liquefy the wax thus making it easier to dislodge.
Note: Make sure the hydrogen peroxide that you get is less than 3.5% in concentration.
- Dilute two teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide using two teaspoons of water.
- Tilt your head and using a dropper pour a few drops of this solution into the affected ear.
- Remain in this position for about 5 minutes.
- Then tilt your head to the other side to drain out the solution.
- Wipe and pat dry your ear using a clean cloth.
10. Use Tea tree Oil for safe ear wax removal at home
Tea tree oil is one of the powerful essential oils that has a wide variety of uses. It is enriched with antibacterial, antiseptic, antiviral and antifungal properties. Its antibacterial properties prevent, attack and eliminate infections. While the anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antiviral properties treats the sinus infection or problems that results due to the ear wax blockage.
- Boil approximately 8 ounces of water, and add 3 drops of the tea tree oil to it.
- Pour it in a bowl while it is still steaming.
- Tilt your affected ear toward the direction of steam, in such a way that the hot vapor gets inside of your ear.
- Repeat this method daily until the problem is resolved.
This method will give an instant relief from the blockage because the hot vapors moves fast to clear the passage unclogging the channel.
Excessive earwax jammed in the ear canal can be a cause of discomfort to your ears. This can sometimes be accompanied by itching and pain. If you do not want to visit a doctor or are searching for a easy, reliable and cheap method to get it out, you should opt for these natural home remedies.