It is pretty obvious that everyone prefers to have long lasting fresh and oil-free look. Oily and greasy skin affects your appearance and your personality as-a-whole. While oily skin has benefits with aging and develops fewer wrinkles as compared to dry skin, it is a painstaking job to protect the skin pores from clogging due to excessive oil excretion.
Why is my skin oily?
Oily skin is very common problem and can be noticed in many people. It is resulted due to the overproduction of sebum from our sebaceous glands located under the skin’s surface. Sebum is made up of fats.
What are the side-effects of having oily skin?
Normally, it isn’t all bad as it moisturizes your skin and protect it against dehydration. However, too much of sebum leads to oily skin and ultimately leads to clogged pores and other skin problems like acne. The amount of sebum produced in our bodily may also depend on various factors like puberty, genetics, hormonal change, overexposure to heat, or even stress.
How to control oily skin?
Oily skin deserves proper and timely care. It may seem challenging to maintain and continue the medical treatment for oily skin. Therefore, here are some effective home remedies that visibly reduces the oil from your skin without having to use any drug or expensive skin-care treatment.
1. Egg whites and lemon to get rid of oily skin
Egg whites helps in shrinking skin pores by tightening them, while the acidic property of lemon helps absorbing excess oil from the skin. However, be mindful if you are allergic to any one of the ingredients. Lemon also have excellent antibacterial abilities that can prevent acne and other skin problems.
- Mix together an egg white with a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- Apply the mixture to your face, and leave it to dry
- Rinse with warm water, and pat dry
2. Tomatoes for oil skin care
Tomatoes are great home remedy for people with oily skin. Its cooling, clarifying & astringent properties makes it one of the best and easy cure for excessive oil secretion problem. Rich in vitamin C, tomatoes are very useful for dealing with the acne-susceptible skin. Also, tomatoes contain natural oil-absorbing acids which helps you in getting rid of excess oil on your face.
- Cut a tomato into a half and rub it gently on your skin.
- Allow it to completely absorb on your skin.
- Wash it off with the cold water and pat dry
- Apply a light oil-free moisturizer.
3. Cucumbers – best treatment for oily skin
Cucumber is beneficial for oily skin because of its soothing properties. Cucumber also includes vitamin and mineral contents such as vitamins A, E plus magnesium and potassium that are healthy for oily skin.
- Cut a fresh cucumbers into some thick slices
- Rub them gently on your face
- Leave it on your face overnight
- Rinse off with the warm or cold water early the next morning
- Repeat everyday before going to bed
Alternatively, you can mix half a teaspoon of cucumber juice with equal amount of lime juice and apply it on your face. Let it dry and then rinse with warm water. This remedy can be used to treat freckles and also reduce sunburn.
4. Use Yogurt for treating oily skin at home
Yogurt is one of excellent home remedies for treating oily skin. Since it is high in lactic acid, it helps in gently exfoliating the skin and also absorbing the excess of oil from the face.
- Take a tablespoon of plain yogurt and apply it thoroughly on your face
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes
- Wash off your face with cold water
- Repeat this remedy everyday to see better results
5. Aloe Vera – a natural agents that cures oily skin
Aloe vera is another wonderful remedy for treating skin conditions like cuts and burns. It helps in repairing flaky skin resulted due to oily patches. Aloe vera is a remedy for both oily and dry skin problems.
- Cut an aloe leaf and squeeze out the fresh gel off it
- Apply this gel on your face before bedtime and let it dry
- Wash off your face with warm/cold water in the morning
- Continue for few days to see some prominent results
Aloe vera can have allergic reaction on sensitive skin. Therefore, test it on your forearm before you apply it on your face.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar treatment for oily skin
Apple Cider Vinegar has antibacterial and anti-fungal agents that helps in treating skin problems including acne. Additionally, it helps to remove excessive oil from your skin and maintain its pH level.
Also, adding apple cider vinegar in bath water and using it regularly helps vaginal problems.
- Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of clean water
- Drink it every night before bed
This way will help balance your hormones and ultimately will manage the excess oil production in your skin.
7. Get rid of oily skin with Green Tea
Green tea is great for oily skin and known as a skin purifier too. It has many benefits for the acne-prone skin as it reduces the sebum production in the skin. It also has amazing antioxidant properties.
- Boil a teaspoon of green tea
- Heat it a little strong
- Let it cool and store it in a spray bottle
- Apply it as a natural toner on your face
- Use twice daily
8. Treat your oily skin with Oatmeal face mask
Oatmeal helps to calm burned and inflamed skin and also absorb excess oil from the skin surface. It also exfoliates the dead skin cells. It can be used with yogurt, honey, or even with mashed fruit like bananas, apples, or papaya, for better results.
- Add half a cup of ground oats to hot water and mix together to form a paste.
- Add in 1 tablespoon honey.
- Use this mixture to massage your face in circles for about three minutes
- Rinse with warm water, and pat dry
Alternatively, you can simply apply the oatmeal mixture to your face and leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes. Then rinse and pat dry.
9. Honey – a natural remedy for oily skin
Honey is one of the best natural skin remedies. It benefits oily and acne-prone skin with its antibacterial capabilities. Honey is a natural humectant and therefore keeps the skin hydrated but not oily.
- Apply a thin coating of raw honey to your face
- Leave it to dry.
- Rinse thoroughly with tepid water
10. Treating oily skin problem with Fuller’s Earth
Fuller’s Earth or Multani Mitti when applied to your skin acts as a natural cleanser. Fuller’s Earth is rich in natural components that helps in fighting acne and blemishes.You can mix fuller’s earth with rosewater or milk and use it on your skin as a perfect face pack. You can use it as a natural drying agent if you have oily skin
- Add a tablespoon of yogurt to equal amount of Fuller’s Earth
- Apply this mixture to your face
- Keep it for 20 minutes and then wash it off
You can also add some almond powder and pieces of glycerin soap to this paste and use it as a scrub to remove blackheads. Fuller’s Earth also helps in reducing sun tan and pigmentation.
Try these home remedies for oily skin and get enjoy being in your fresh and flawless self. Don’t forget to write to us about your experience with these remedies.