Mucocele is a very common skin condition. It is the occurrence of a lump or mucous cyst that covers the lip area. You can get a mucous cysts in many different conditions including issues with salivary gland system, bruised your lips by falling, having any kind of cuts and damages. The mucous cyst when huge are painful and can also ooze out some fluid resulting to further inflammation. These type of cyst are usually temporary but can persists for longer if not treated properly.
What causes a mucous cyst?
Most of the times, the reason behind mucous cysts or mucocele are because of the oral cavity trauma, such as:
- cheek biting
- Biting of lips
- Piercings in the oral cavity
- accidental damage of the salivary gland
- adjacent teeth causing chronic injury
In addition to these major causes, poor dental hygiene also aids the formation of mucocele. You are also susceptible to a risk of developing mucous cysts because of your lip or cheek biting habits. In some cases, people tend to develop oral cysts as a side-effect to using tartar-control toothpaste.
Will a mucous cyst in my mouth go away?
Yes, the mucous cysts in your mouth will go away if you follow regular dental hygiene in addition to following the below mentioned home remedies that will accelerate the healing of these cysts.
1. Mucocele natural treatment with Glycerin
Glycerin is one of the most effective home remedy for mucocele. It is considered as a perfect remedy because of its antiseptic nature. Its antibacterial property helps in fighting the microbes that may be causing the cysts. In addition to that, glycerin keeps the mouth moist, accelerating the healing process.
- Apply few drops of glycerin using your clean fingers and dab it onto the affected area.
- Let it sit there for about half an hour, then rinse your mouth with lukewarm water.
- For better results, repeat this remedy thrice a day.
- Alternatively, use a glycerin-based mouthwash to cleanse your mouth everyday.
2. Honey for mucous cysts home treatment
Honey is another amazing remedy for mucous cyst appearing inside your mouth. It is rich in anti-inflammatory properties and provides you with soothing effect. It will reduce both the pain and inflammation. Honey also has antibacterial goodness, and therefore prevent you from further infections, speeding the healing process.
- Add one-fourth of a tsp of turmeric powder to one teaspoon of natural honey.
- Mix properly to form a consistent mixture.
- Apply this paste on your cyst. Do not rub.
- Leave it on for about 20 minutes. Then rinse out with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy thrice a day for a week.
3. Use Alum for removal of mucous cyst
Commonly known as Alum, Hydrated potassium aluminum sulfate is a very effective and natural treatment for a mucocele. It will help burst the cyst easily and also prevent it from recurrencing.
- Take a pinch of alum powder and apply it on your cyst.
- Leave it on for few minutes. Then, rinse your mouth with clean water.
- Use this method twice daily until the mucocele heals.
4. Mucous cyst treatment at home with Aloe Vera
The fresh aloe vera gel is also very effective in treating the mucoceles. The anti-inflammatory and soothing properties in it can help heal the pain and promote quick recovery.
In addition to that, it also helps in bursting out the cyst and prevents from possible recurrences.
- Cut a fresh aloe leaf and extract the gel out of it.
- Apply this gel directly on the mucous cyst.
- Leave it for some 20 minutes, then rinse your mouth with lukewarm water.
- Repeat a few times daily for several days.
- Alternatively, you can use fresh aloe vera juice to rinse your mouth 3 or 4 times a day.
5. Get rid of your mucocele using Turmeric
A staple ingredient in every household kitchen, Turmeric is a spice with strong antibacterial properties. It has been used to treat several skin ailments since ancient ages. It is also enriched with anti-inflammatory properties.
- Add just enough milk to one fourth tsp of turmeric powder to make a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on your mucocele.
- Let it sit for about an hour, then wash off with some warm water.
- Repeat the remedy thrice a day unless you see significant results.
- You may also use turmeric juice on affected areas.
6. Baking Soda – an effective remedy for mucous cyst
The Sodium Bicarbonate, commonly known as Baking Soda is alkaline in nature. Therefore, it exerts antimicrobial effects on the mucocele; fighting the cyst causing microbes. It also soothes the inflamed skin while ensuring to prevent the occurence of further mucous cysts inside your mouth.
- Add just enough water in half tsp baking soda
- Mix properly to make a good paste.
- Apply this mixture on your oral mucocele.
- Let it sit there for about 8 to 10 minutes. Then rinse it off with water.
- Repeat this remedy method twice everyday.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar for curing mucous cysts at home
The apple cider vinegar is great in balancing pH level. Therefore, it helps regulate the excessive production of saliva and mucous, encouraging faster healing of the mucocele.
- Mix 1 tsp apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of warm water to form a dilute solution.
- Now, use this solution to rinse your mouth thoroughly.
- When done, follow it with a normal water rinse.
- Repeat twice a day for few days unless you see considerable improvement.
8. Prevent and cure oral mucous cyst using Castor Oil
Castor Oil has rich anti-inflammatory properties that can help in reducing pain and inflammation that is associated with oral mucoceles. It also makes the infected area moisturized, thus preventing from irritation due to dryness.
- Take equal amounts of castor oil and honey in a small bowl and mix properly.
- Dip a sterile cotton ball in this mixture and apply it onto the affected area.
- Let it rest for some 10 minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Apply this remedy for 2 to 3 times a day and see the results.
9. Use Moist Tea Bags to naturally cure mucous cysts
Moist tea bags can really work in treating your mucocele in absolutely no time. The tannic acid in tea works as a natural astringent and helps in reducing the inflammation caused due to the oral mucous cysts. It also accelerates the healing process and promotes speedy recovery.
- Dig a tea bag in a cup of water. When it soaks enough water, refrigerate it.
- Let it be there for half an hour.
- Gently press the chilled tea bag on the cysts. Continue the same for about 15 minutes.
- Repeat thrice daily unless the cyst disappear.
10. Ice packs remedy for mucocele
Ice can be one of the most effective remedies for mucocele as it can cure the pain and irritation associated with large oral cysts.
- Take a thin washcloth and wrap a few ice cubes in it.
- Gently dab it on the affected area. Continue for 1 minute to get relief.
- Repeat the remedy multiple times a day for few days.
- Alternatively, you can also sip cold water from time to time to ease the discomfort.
Mucocele are the small bump (or cyst) inside your mouth that usually appears on the lower lips or on the floor of your mouth. You can also notice them form on the inside of your cheeks.
The occurrence of cysts can trigger the salivary gland and result in excess of saliva production in the mouth. This can result emerge speech problems and cause difficulty while eating food. Therefore, treating them on the right time can help prevent your from possible complications. Use the above mentioned home remedies to get rid of the mucous cyst in your mouth.
Note: If the cyst is large, causing trouble and persists for longer than two months then it is high time you see a doctor. If you’re having recurring cysts, then also you should consult with a doctor in the first place.