Most of the people consider surgery or medication to deal with their gallstone complaints. However, there are natural remedies that can help fix the issue.
Stone in the gallbladder, commonly referred to as the Gallstones, are common in many people worldwide. Specially, adults are affected with this problem.
What are gallstones?
Gallstones is built from combination of cholesterol particles, calcium deposits and other substances that are found in bile juice secreted by the gallbladder. These stones vary from person to person in terms of size, shape, density and composition — but the cause and treatment for all are almost the same.
These can cause pain and other problems, like indigestion and back pain. Generally, the gallbladder reserves fluids only, that is why when the solid stones accumulates in it, it can lead to serious and noticeable problems.
However, not all gallstones shows symptoms. But when symptoms are visible, they can include:
- Pain in the abdomen
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pressure around the stomach, intestines and other organs, especially after meals
- Sudden pain in the upper-right side of the abdomen and can last from 30 minutes to several hours
- Severe pain under the right shoulder
Natural ways to get rid of the gallstones
Here are some popular natural alternatives to medical interventions to remove gallstones.
1. Apple cider vinegar with apple juice for gallbladder stone treatment
Apple is filled with a number of health benefits. It is, as well, capable of dissolving gallstones when taken in the forms of juice with apple cider vinegar. The gallstones softens because of the malic acid present in the apples and vinegar prevents the liver from making bad cholesterol that is responsible for stone formation. Apple not only helps dissolve the gallstones but also prevents the recurrence of gallstones as well as subsidies the associated pain.
- Mix a tbsp of apple cider vinegar with a glass of apple juice
- Drink this mixture every day for sometime.
2. Beetroot, cucumber and carrot juice – a natural remedy for gallstones
The combination of beetroot, cucumber and carrots is highly effective for removal of gallbladder. Beets help in strengthening and cleansing the gallbladder, liver, colon and blood. Cucumber, because of its high water content, is great for the detoxifying liver and gallbladder. Carrot juice high in vitamin C and other nutrients, also does the same.
- Dice and blend all the three vegetables (beetroot, cucumber and carrots) to get a nice smooth juice.
- Intake this juice twice everyday.
If you like, you may also add apples, celery and ginger for better taste and added benefits.
3. Use Dandelion for gallstone removal without surgery
Dandelion is a herb that helps support the liver and aids the gallbladder in its functioning. The leaves of dandelion help boost the excretion of bile from the liver, thus detoxifying it and effectively metabolizing the fat. It also helps stimulate your sluggish gallbladder. So, dandelion makes an effective herbal cure to your gallstones.
- Place 1 tsp of dried dandelion leaves in a pot.
- Pour a cup of hot water over it.
- Cover the lid and let it steep for about 5 minutes.
- Add honey, for taste.
- Drink the dandelion tea 2-3 times a day.
You may also add the tender dandelion greens to your salad. If you suffer from diabetes, do consult with your doctor before you consume the dandelion herb.
4. Natural cure for gallstone with Peppermint
Peppermint is well known herb that stimulates the flow of bile and helps in digestion. Terpene present in peppermint oil is believed to dissolve the gallstones. Peppermint tea can be one of the very useful herbs for natural treatment of gallbladder stone and associated pain. It helps relax spasms and gives relief from acute pain.
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add 1 tsp of dried mint leaves to it.
- Set off the flame, cover the lid and let it steep for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Strain and add honey(optional) for taste.
- It is good to have this tea in between your meals.
5. Milk Thistle – a home remedy for gallstones
Milk thistle, is widely used herb for natural remedy of gallstones and detoxifying of liver. Milk thistle helps in shrinking the gallstones and reduce the pain in your bladder. Adding this herb to your diet will help get rid of gallbladder stones. You can use it as tea or add the powdered milk thistle seeds to your meals including juices, salads, veggies, burgers etc.
Recipe to make milk thistle tea:
- Put 1 tsp of crushed milk thistle leaves and seeds in a muslin bag.
- Place this bag in a cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for about 5 minutes.
- Add honey (optional) to taste.
6. Use Lemon Juice for gallbladder stone remedy
Lemon juice or such citrus fruit juices stops your liver from making cholesterol, just as the vinegar does. Taking lemon juice everyday and including citrus fruits to diet will definitely help. You can have a glass of lemon water two to three times a day or follow the given alternative to dissolve your gallstones.
- Mix together 30ml each of olive oil and lemon juice
- Add some 5g of garlic paste to the liquid mixture.
- Take this juice every morning on an empty stomach.
- Repeat for at least 40 days to see prominent results.
7. Pear Juice – natural cure for gallbladder stone
Traditionally, pear juice is said to dissolve the gallstones. Pectin present in pears is believed to bind the cholesterol-filled gallstones so that they be flushed out of your body. The natural benefits of pear makes it harmless to consume. Combining it with some other home remedies can help ease your gallstone problem.
- To a half glass of hot water add equal amount of pear juice.
- Add two tbsp of honey to it and mix well.
- Take this juice 3 times a day.
8. Artichoke remedy to remove gallbladder stone
Artichoke has been found to aid the functionality of the gallbladder. It stimulates the secretion of bile and is also has positive effects on the liver.
- You can use Artichoke in different ways – it can be steamed, pickled, or grilled.
If you are able to tolerate artichoke, then there is no harm in eating it. However, if you are considering for pills or sold a supplement of artichoke then you should speak to your doctor first.
9. Use Psyllium to get rid of gallstone naturally
Diet rich in fiber is very essential to cure your gallbladder stones. Psyllium can be a potential remedy rich in fiber and vitamins, especially Vitamin C, that you may add to your meal for curing your gallstones. It is an amazing source of soluble fibers that helps to bind the cholesterol in bile and also prevents the formation of gallstone. Psyllium also prevents constipation which can be a factor for gallstone formation.
- Add a tsp of psyllium powder husk to a glass of water.
- Mix it well and drink immediately.
- Consume it everyday at night before bed.
10. Change your lifestyle and bid away gallstone at home
Certain changes in your diet and daily routine also plays vital role in curing the gallbladder stones. Here are some techniques that you can follow to achieve better results.
- Drink about 8 to 10 glasses of water every day.
- Reduce your weight if you are overweight. Avoid junks and fatty foods. Exercise regularly. Consume smaller meals, timely. Meaning, break your 3 big meals to 5 to 6 smaller meals.
- Take preventive measures to avoid constipation. Constipation aids the formation of gallstones.
- Include coffee but avoid its excessive intake. One or two cups a day is right. Coffee stimulates the flow of bile and thus prevents gallstones.
- Add a lot of vitamin C rich food in your everyday diet. Include citrus fruits and lemon juice.
- Use spices and herbs that are good for your liver and gallbladder like turmeric, black pepper, long pepper, dried ginger, asafoetida, etc.
In addition to following these remedies, carefully planning of your diet and wisely selecting the best fit home remedies for your body can help remove the gallstones naturally, without having to throw away the bladder.
Also, discover 10 easy home remedies for chicken pox prevention!